The ETHS '58 Class Gift
Ed Koven recently did some research about the gift from our
class, which resides in the Senior Court at ETHS. It is called "The
Ballerina". Following is a narrative, prepared by Ed, that identifies the
sculptress and her work.
One of the best-kept
half-century old secrets is the identity of the artist who made our 1958 gift to
Some members of the ETHS class of 1958 were aware that the gift of the 75th
ETHS graduating class was the sculpture of the dancer, but an examination of the
sculpture and ETHS records failed to reveal the identity of the maker of this
The identity of the
sculptor, Sylvia Shaw Judson of Lake Forest, was uncovered last year as the
result of searching the Evanston Historical Society archives and finding it in
the cover article of the 1959 ETHS Annual Report.
The article said the following:
Class of 1958 had the privilege of purchasing what has become the
attraction in the Senior Court,
“Ballerina,” the bronze statue of a young dancer. . . .
statue is a companion piece to “Violinist,” which was made as a memorial to the
late Norman de Mille Ross of Evanston, radio personality, Olympic swimming
champion,and father of Norman Ross, an ETHS alumnus and popular television
personality. “Violinist” is
Mrs. Judson was born in
in 1897 and died in 1978. Her
father was the famous architect, Howard Van Doren Shaw, who built Ragdale in Lake Forest as their family home. He also designed the
original Goodman Theater and Market
Garden sculpture was Mrs. Judson’s forte.
Her “The Little Garden” was in the Rose Garden of the White House.
Her other works were displayed in gardens and parks throughout the
country, at Chicago’s Century of Progress and the world’s fairs in New York City
and San Francisco.